Monday, October 25, 2010

True Blessings of Having a Successful Friendship

By Alma Gonzalez

Making friends has never been a problem growing up, but as I got older I began to differentiate what a true friend is, as opposed to an acquaintance. Yes, you will meet people, you enjoy socializing with, but when comparing to a true friend never truly come close. As far as I can remember, my true friends have been and shall always be the ones I grew up with. Through years of getting to know one another, we have developed a bond that not only surpasses bonds established by true family members, but has also enabled us to freely be ourselves, and not phony. Through these bonds, we have suffered and endured hardship, break-ups, child rearing; and commitment. We always make sure to boast each others spirits whenever one of us are down, or quick to tell each other when one of us messes up, and needs a reality check.

My friends consist of one male who I have known since the age of fourteen and two females that I have met when we were thirteen years old respectively. The male friend, is not only sensitive, kind and funny, but has always been the one I talk to extensively about men issues. Yes, my female friends, are the ones I turned to when any given relationship failed, for those are the shoulders I cried on, but the male, has since then been there as well to help me cope with the heartaches, a man can only inflict on a woman.

As a teenager, I focused mainly on school and keeping my grades up, but once I turned eighteen I had my first real relationship which lasted a good five years. On my twenty first birthday my boyfriend and I got engaged, and then that's when I noticed two of my friends backed off and only one remained. We, of course, kept in touch, but for some strange reason, the male friend was no longer as available as he once was and the one female friend, had nothing but bad things to say about my then fiance. Unbeknownst to me, my fiance had threatened my male friend, due to insecurity issues I had no idea he possessed. As the years progressed though these issues among others began to surface, and I was thankful to still be engaged, as that made it a lot easier for me to break free. It was then my friends sat me down and told me the truth about how they felt about my now ex. At first, of course, I was a bit ticked that they would hold back, and not tell me this guy was no good, but then once explained I realized they only thought they had my best interest at heart . I was, after all happy at first, it was later that his jealousy and lack of trust got worse. I began to feel smothered, and constantly worried about getting into a confrontation because my bus or train was delayed. This guy not only timed my commute, but checked my purse or pockets for numbers that never truly existed.

Since the break-up, my friends and I have made a pact to never hold back any doubts or fears we may encounter in any given relationship. Our friendship has only evolved into something truly amazing, and we all consider ourselves blessed to have each other in our lives. A true friend, is there when you need a shoulder, want to vent, need advice or constructive criticism. They make the bad times seem obsolete, and celebrate your triumphs. They stick up for you when others bad mouth you, and support you one hundred percent when needed. To this day I thank God for giving me the friends he chose to be there for a lifetime, and not only a minute. Loyalty, respect and love comes hand in hand, and nothing nor no one should ever come between us, as time has only proven. To the acquaintances I have encountered throughout the years, and have shown me the difference I thank you, for true friendship is something they just can't fathom, nor know what to do with.

I, Alma Gonzalez have been writing since the age of ten. In total I have over thirty articles, movie reviews and short stories combined and published under my pen name Susan B. Anna with Triond.com, so if interested click on attached link to view most recently submitted article on male insecurities @ http://www.socyberty.com/Relationships/Insecurities-The-Males-Perspective.190489

Article Source: True Blessings of Having a Successful Friendship
True Blessings of Having a Successful FriendshipSocialTwist Tell-a-Friend

No comments:

Post a Comment